Oxford Village residents can apply for handgun permits between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
The following requirements must be met prior to a permit being issued.
- You must have photo identification. You must be a village resident and a United States citizen or resident legal alien.
- You must be eighteen (18) years of age or older to purchase a handgun from a private citizen. You must be twenty-one (21) years of age or older to purchase a handgun from a licensed federal firearms dealer.
- You must pass the basic pistol safety test.
- You have never been convicted of a felony or are not subject to a conditional bond release, a personal bond release, personal protection order, or other court order, which prohibits you from purchasing a firearm.
- You have not been adjudged insane or legally incapacitated unless competency has been restored by court order. You are not under involuntary hospitalization or alternative treatment program due to mental illness.
Once the Purchase Permit has been issued, the buyer has 10 days in which to purchase the handgun. Pistols must be submitted to the department for safety inspection with 10 days after purchase. Please call the Dispatch office to schedule an appointment with an officer for your inspection.
Make sure your gun is:
- In its case
- No ammunition
There are no fees for either purchase permit or the safety inspection.
Note: Unused purchase permits must be returned to the Oxford Police Department.